dimanche 6 janvier 2008

Third Time’s the Charm… Come Superior!!
















Dear Family and Friends,

~*Happy Happy 2008 to all!!!*~ I hope that everyone had a wonderful 2008 New Year celebration! As I was reflecting on past New Years celebrations in the Baumert household, I realized how many incredible changes in 2007 made for this 2008 celebration to be… well, unique! First of all, mom came to Paris to visit and attend my Intermediate graduation from Le Cordon Bleu in November. We intended to spend a total of two adventurous weeks – exploring and adoring this glorious City of Lights. However, long story short (or you can read about it in my previous blog) mom decided to befriend the floor while walking down the stairs in my flat. Ok, I will just come out and say it… she - thou with grace tumbled down my stairs and broke her ankle. Oops. Thus, her highly-anticipated vacation to Paris was rudely cut short (by one week). However, she definitely received a memorable souvenir from Paris – cast and crutches! (Thankfully she is wearing a smaller brace now because the bones are healing well… stellar job on drinking milk as a child). But I digress – the main purpose of my trip home was to help celebrate my dad’s retirement party! I was then expecting to return to Paris where I would spend both Christmas and the New Year. Oh, but how plans change… Needless to say, I decided to spend additional time at home in order to be with family.

Dad’s retirement party was amazing… thank you to ALL who were able to attend – it truly meant so much to him (as well as our entire family!) Since the entire Baumert clan was home, we decided to celebrate Christmas early. We were able to spend the entire day together on December 9th … talking, sharing insights, eating, singing Christmas carols (with real candle light – bonus!) and just loving one another! It did not matter that we did not celebrate Christmas on December 25th; it only mattered that we were able to come together and celebrate the real reason for the season.

Mom and I then spent a few weeks in Arizona… dancing across the desert. Actually, not at all, but we were able to prep the house for Dad to enjoy in retirement!! (They are on their way out West as I am typing this update!) We were able to decorate the Arizona home with candles, plants, pictures… various accessories which transform a house into a home (aka – Elle’s businesses on the rug – though in all fairness, she was in a completely new environment and she has gotten much better on locating (and using) her puppy pads). While enjoying the glorious sunshine and favorable temperatures, we were able to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas day with Michael and Julie (his fiancé!) I really enjoyed getting to spend more time with both of them (including yoga, zoo lights, and a plethora of meals). I really valued our time together!! Although it was difficult to say “good-bye,” it was essential that I return in order to prepare for my trip to Paris.

Last weekend I was able to celebrate the birthday of Dr. McVicker with his entire family! Literally one word to describe the weekend… fantastic! The festivities included pictures with Santa in the men’s bathroom at Brookside (fret not, your eyes did not deceive you… you did in fact read it correctly), wearing the most comfortable slippers ever, celebrating Ry’s surprise birthday party, spending quality time with an amazing family… it definitely got better and better. Definitely. =)

In 2005, my family and I celebrated the New Year dining and dancing at the Greenbrier. In 2006, we dined and danced at the club at Ponte Vedre (while dad was on sabbatical in Florida). In 2007, we brought in the New Year… can you guess? Good job, you deserve a cookie. Dining and dancing at La Scala. If you couldn’t tell… we like to dance! However, this year was well… different! Eh Steve and Suz celebrated together in Washington DC (where they now reside) and Michael and Jules spent the night at the symphony (including listening to Gershwin’s “An American in Paris” – cool beans!). Dad and mom were unable to spend the night dancing (due to mom’s bum ankle) – however, they were able to spend a relaxing evening enjoying a wonderful meal at The Refectory, complete with guitar music and a cozy fire. As for me, well… another set of “goodbyes” which were not easy. I celebrated 2008 in transit… flying somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean, gazing at the stars and listening to music. Although my heart was definitely elsewhere, I was able to reflect on so many changes which have recently occurred in my life. I was recently told that the Lord truly does work in the most mysterious of ways, especially when you least expect it. Wise words. Wise words, indeed.

And now… come Superior! Come the last level of my studies at Le Cordon Bleu. Come challenges which lead to growth. I am absolutely ready to welcome my last three months at LCB. I know that every day is going to be a challenge… I am going to make mistakes; I am going to fail miserably. But you know what? I am also going to succeed. I am going to continue to learn and continue to grow. Classes begin tomorrow… great day for a competition! Just prepare to read some entertaining adventures and stories (because let’s face it… I seem to always find myself in the most random/bizarre situations). I hope to send more pictures soon… I am eagerly waiting for my internet and phone line to work at my flat again; as soon as they do, pictures galore (and more updates!) I hope that everyone had a wonderful 2008 celebration – all across the world – with family, friends or in spirit. I love you all!!!


Love from Paris to everyone,

SB =)

1 commentaire:

Food for Thought a dit…

SB! I miss you and I wish I were there, going through superior with you!! Enjoy every minute, you will miss it when it's over. And come visit in DC asap!!

love,
marni