dimanche 27 juillet 2008

"Dilegua, o notte! Tramontate, stelle! Tramontate, stelle! All'alba vincerò! Vincerò! Vincerò!"

Hello Family and Friends!!

First of all… thank you so very very much for the wonderful birthday messages and emails!!! My gratitude is beyond words as each of you truly touched my life and took the time to think of me on my birthday. I really love you very much!! Thank you for making my twenty-third special!

If one had to choose a single country that adores celebrating its independence, I would have to say that the USA does so with flying colors (literally). However, France is a close second. On July 14, I woke up to an absolutely stunning morning: a baby-blue sky, shimmering sunbeams and a few wispy clouds resembling brush strokes across the Parisian horizon. The small trees and flowers decorating the Parisian flats across from chez moi radiated with life and vivid colors. The Bastille Day parade began at the l’Arc de Triomphe, continued along the Champs-Élysées, then divided into two separate parades in order to “cover more ground” and span the entire city (spread the love, right?) Rather than heading directly to the Champs-Élysées and securing a spot that guaranteed seeing only the heads of the crowds in front of me or using a periscope, I decided to mark my territory elsewhere. I found the perfect spot: next to Madeleine (a Neo-classical style church constructed in 1764 to the glory of Napoleon's army). Fret not, by marking my territory I simply wore my enormous black hat which not only protected me from the glorious sunshine rays, but also kept spectators from crowding too closely since the diameter is so obnoxiously large. But I digress… although I was able to witness only one-half of the parade, the soldiers and artillery were in perfect front-row view. Ultimately, I do believe that the wise knight in Indiana Jones’ Raiders of the Lost Arc would have concluded that, I too, “chose wisely.” (It would have been bad news to have “chosen poorly” and joined those interred in the catacombs under the city of Paris).


I absolutely adored the parade since it was entirely devoted to the celebration and honor of the troops. Goose bumps covered my body as the regiments proudly marched past the adoring crowds, singing their respective anthems and holding their heads high. A few of the troops included:






Troop of the 1st Regiment of Spahis – wearing long, regal tan capes with white fur trim, blue hats, large red belts, machine guns

Troop of the Pioneers of the French Foreign Legion's 1st Regiment Etranger – seriously, I think they were lumberjacks… they had long beards, brown smocks, and hatchets. The leader of their troop resembles Santa Clause (though less jolly and French… ok, but he had a white beard)

Troop of the 1st Engineers regiment of the French Foreign Legion – white hats and tan berets

Alphajets of “La Patrouille de France”, (French Air Force acrobatic team)

A plethora of other regiments, military artillery (enormous tanks, jeeps, etc.) helicopters and planes paraded through the Parisian streets and skies. Parachutes even decorated the sky with the UN and EU flags. As each of the regiments passed, the crowd applauded their commitment and loyalty. I was instantly reminded of my own cousins, Paul, David and Danny – US Marines and Army Ranger - and how proud I am of their hard work and allegiance to our country. It was very encouraging to see the troops celebrated and honored… they deserve such respect!

As I commented before, although I missed the OhioRed White and Boom” and the Upper Arlington celebrations of years past, I did witness the firework celebration at the Eiffel Tower. Glorious. A pop concert began at 19.00 and featured an array of French singers. At 22.30, the lights of the Eiffel Tower immediately darkened as a hush spread across the enormous crowd (seriously, I could be wrong, but I do believe that the entire city of Paris was crowded in the Champs de Mars (gardens surrounding the Eiffel Tower). The glittering fireworks cascaded a frame around the monument as spectators cooed the universal language of “oohs and ahhs.” I must admit, I did miss Neil Diamond’s rendition of “Coming to America,” though my Parisian fireworks were accompanied with Opera and Classical music. French Composer Jacques Offenbach’s “Can-Can” saturated the air, causing my dancing feet to begin to move! A chill of pride shot through my body upon hearing Luciano Pavarotti sing “Nessum Dorma”. The ending of the song is incredibly impressive… “Dilegua, o notte! Tramontate, stelle! Tramontate, stelle! All'alba vincerò! Vincerò! Vincerò!” ("Vanish, o night! Set, stars! Set, stars! At daybreak I shall win! I shall win! I shall win!”) – The B4 and final A4 notes are the highest notes of the tenor range… as Pavarotti’s voice filled their air, the Eiffel Tower began to glitter and the fireworks continued to illuminate the sky… it was almost too much to handle… almost! Definitely received goose bumps for a second time that day!


My next update will include details about my stage at Hotel de Crillon! I absolutely adore the hard work and constant learning experience. I wanted to thank each of you again for taking the time to think of me on my birthday. I truly treasure your notes and words of encouragement! Thank you!

All my love from Paris,

SB =)

Aucun commentaire: