dimanche 28 novembre 2010

Texas, Y'all!

Hello family and friends!

Well... what is she up to now?

Dallas, y'all. Dallas.

Where shall I begin...


First of all, I absolutely adore this city. I feel, for the first time in a very long time, that I am "home." And I am grateful beyond words to have a job that I love. I am working as a private chef for a
wonderful family in Dallas. I work the majority of the time at their breath-taking ranch (ab
out two hours from Dallas). My job entails a huge number of responsibilities... all menu planning, execution of creative courses/plating, daily honing of my culinary skills, challenging myself to prepare impressive healthy food... I love each and every single aspect. Is it a huge sacrifice? Of
course it is. I enjoy the hard work and opportunity to share my gift and passion of the culinary arts.
My apartment is inundated with culinary books. Seriously. And I love it. Is it wrong that I become more excited over culinary books/tools than jewelry? I love to learn and challenge myself to improve on a daily basis.
You know, cooking entails a huge amount of trust. While recipes are a great "backbone," I always change flavors by using different techniques, spices, herbs, etc. Trusting self by listening to intuition (although it is much more than just mere "intuition") is imperative. had to laugh a few weeks ago... it was a Friday evening and I was at the ranch making hand-made gnocchi and pasta with the Food Network playing in the background. Friday night.

I know... sweet life.

Hehe, I am kidding, of course. I truly love my job and the opportunity to grow and learn. It is easy to make food taste delicious if one adds enough butter, cream and oils. However, the challenge comes into play when creating healthy meals that do not sacrifice impeccable taste. I enjoy
researching/experimenting with ingredients that tickle your palate without leaving one feeling heavy and lethargic. And the plating is always my favorite aspect... edible art. I often finish the decorations with delicate micro-greens, vibrant sauce/puree colors, edible flowers, glitter, gold-leaf paper... good grief, I am such a girl :)

Enough food talk for now. I really do love Texas. I would have to say that of all of the states, Texas probably has the most loyalty and state pride. There is a true, genuine southern mentality and sense of hospitality that is second to none. I love meeting new friends, cheering for the Mavs and Stars at the games (I get SO excited!), enjoying the sunshine during winter and truly savoring the beauty of life. The streets are brilliantly decorated in glowing Christmas lights, Christmas music permeates the air and I am thankful to share my passion for life with others. I am attending a wonderful church that I adore and have been meeting brilliant friends on a weekly basis.

Ultimately, I am thankful. I am thankful for life. I am thankful for loving family and friends. I am thankful for this time in my life... to learn how to live loved and actually apply this to my life! I am thankful.

All my love to each of you from DALLAS!!
Love, sb :)

Aucun commentaire: