dimanche 8 juillet 2007

"A Toutes Les Gloires De La France"

Family and Friends!

Wow! What a busy, but wonderful week! On Wednesday I had pastry practical in the morning, class pictures, cuisine practical and a visit to a local pastry shop. For the cuisine class picture, I was seated front and center (wow, are you surprised?!) and very excited about the placement. However, at school we can choose to either wear white or black shoes (special shoes with steel toes in case a heavy pan/boiling liquid is dropped on your foot). Anyway, after we were seated, one of the ladies said that only black shoes could be seated in the front row. disappointment because Chef looked over and said, “Sarah, you can wear my shoes!”Well, this about broke my heart… (ok, not quite to that extent) but I think my face showed my utter in order for me to remain in my spot! Everyone was cracking up (including Chef) because no one expected him to extend such an offer. Rather than be high maintenance, I just quickly moved a row back. The photographer kept telling everyone to smile, and my smile must have been growing and growing because he stopped and put down his camera and told me that his directions were not for me; I was smiling enough already (good thing… I know I have a large mouth, but good grief, a smile can only become so big!) Directly after cuisine pictures, the pastry group was photographed. Claudia had been sitting in the front for the cuisine and she wanted to move to the back row, so she traded shoes with me and I was allowed to sit in my all-time favorite spot! Oh school pictures… I bet they conjure up some fond memories of grade school for many of you… =)

On Wednesday night I volunteered at school to help with a presentation/demonstration for the Alliance Francaise. (Happy Fourth of July, by the way!) About forty people came from the organization in order to learn more about Le Cordon Bleu, watch Chef prepare a dish, and enjoy hors d’oeuvres and drinks after the presentation. Twelve students had signed up to volunteer. We were standing in the back Winter Garden (the “communal area” where we normally congregate before classes). It is a large room with many windows and beautifully decorated with plants and flowers galore. After the presentation, the guests were to wine and dine in this room. Thus, we were assigned to set up the food and prepare the garden for their enjoyment. However, they pulled me aside and placed me at the front door in order to greet the guests and take them to the room where they would watch the demonstration. I enjoyed talking to the guests as they arrived (in French of course) and parading them through the corridors of the school. After everyone was seated in the demonstration room, I went back to the Winter Garden to help set up for the hors d’oeuvres. However, after Chef finished his presentation, I was immediately pulled back into the room to serve the individual portions of fish to the guests, then lead them into the Winter Garden in order to serve them more gourmet morsels to tickle their palates. We were also given the opportunity to talk to the guests and tell them about our programs and classes at school. It was a wonderful night! I arrived home at 23.00 and headed off to bed, as I had nine hours of classes the next day (and waking at six in the morning would come all too soon). But no need to complain! I enjoy the fast-pace lifestyle. I also enjoy soaking up as much knowledge as possible in my little head!

On Saturday, seven of us (from class) decided to visit Versailles. What a day! I really enjoyed bonding with our eclectic group of characters. Adi is twenty-six, from Israel. Alexandra (organized the trip) is thirty eight, French/American, lives in California and Washington D.C. Amit is twenty nine, from New York. Bing is twenty-one, born in China and lives in New York (but is here for the summer, then will return to UofM in the fall to finish university). Claudia is thirty three, from Brazil. Marni is thirty, born in Lousinanna, from Washington D.C. SB is twenty-one (soon to be twenty two!), born and breed-Ohioian. OH! There was a vast array of views/perspectives of life, but regardless, everyone had a fantastic day! In the morning, we marveled at the inside of the palace. Wow, the fact that the king would design a hall of mirrors… speaks enough for itself. But the intricacies of the palace truly are breath-taking. One could spend years simply viewing all the minute details engraved in every stitch and corner of the monstrosity!

After touring the inside of the palace, we enjoyed a leisurely lunch in the gardens. The gardens at Versailles are simply magnificent. As tourists enjoyed gliding their row-boats on the pristine lakes, the sunlight danced and cascaded onto the sidewalks. The trees were perfectly manicured into a variety of forms and shapes. Flowers lined the pathways as families enjoyed picnics throughout the gardens. Literally, the grounds seem to stretch far beyond the eye can see! We enjoyed visiting other palaces (for Napoleon, Marie Antoinette, etc) which are also on the estate. We also saw four wedding parties. Apparently many couples decided to have their wedding photos taken at Versailles. Not too shabby of a place to take pictures, I suppose!

After promenading around the grounds for the entire day, we ate dinner at a local café around 19.00 We returned to the palace gardens at 21.00 in order to watch the water show! At 21.30, the sun was beginning to set and the fountains began to cascade water from their spickets into the sky! Music was played over loud speakers and bubbles floated from machines (which were hidden in the bushes). Ridiculously romantic! But really, it was an absolutely gorgeous evening! A fantastic firework show began at 23:30. The glittering gold “fire smacks” were a wonderful way to end a great day, full of competitions! (hehe!) After the show, the seven of us linked together in order to make our way through the crowd.

Mom called as I was traveling home on the Metro… she and dad were headed off to enjoy a walk at Highbanks! (a close second to Versailles, in my opinion!) It can be difficult to communicate due to the time difference, but when we set out minds on something, we make it happen! I arrived home a bit after two in the morning and immediately proceeded into the fetal position on my bed. Glorious and necessary sleep! I know that this week will be another week of learning! Mom is having reconstructive surgery tomorrow morning, so I would very much appreciate if you could please keep her in your thoughts and prayers! Thank you again for the encouraging emails and messages. Sometimes it can be easy to become distracted/exhausted after a long day, but I am encouraged when I read everyone’s supportive words! Oh… tomorrow is not going to be fun - we are making rabbit… sorry Thumper. Well, I will try my best!

All my love to each and every one of you from Paris!!!
SB =)

1 commentaire:

Chris a dit…

Sarah, I love reading your blog posts. I can only hope mine are as well written and entertaining.