dimanche 1 juillet 2007

"Add three letters to Paris and it is Paradise..."


Family and friends!

Another week of learning in the City of Light!
On Thursday, we learned how to make caramel for the first time (well, I learned for the first time!) Carmel burns are by far the most dangerous burns (compared to any type of burn). Thus, a word of advice, do not mess around with boiling sugar! Anyway, Chef was showing us a technique in demo on how experienced Chefs can determine the temperature of caramel without having to use a thermometer. Chef placed a bowl of ice water next to the boiling caramel. He placed his hand in the ice water for a few seconds, then lifted it into the boiling sugar, then into the ice water again… all in one smooth and relaxed manner. When the sugar is hot enough (while still clear in color and before reaching the caramel state), a film will appear on your hand after removing it from the ice water, boiling sugar, ice water process. It is not a necessary risk, but Chef’s often do it to… well, to “look cool.” In practical, I asked Chef if he would please teach me how to successfully mimic the same peril. He looked at me like, “you’ve got to be kidding me.” But I just smiled and stubbornly stood my ground. I promised that I would remain calm and not end up in the ER with a third degree burn. I suppose I was somewhat convincing because he told me to go retrieve a bowl with ice. So I quickly replied, “oui, Chef,” and he stood by my side as I confidently placed my hand into the boiling sugar and pulled some film into the ice water. Success! I think he was relieved that I remained calm and collected. None of the other students were willing to try the technique. Probably snickering as the naïve American was happily placing her hand in boiling sugar with an enormous smile. Ah, but it was a great day for a competition indeed! =)

When I was four years old, I began ballroom dancing with Bill Sparks. He, Sam Sodano (his coach and organizer of Ohio Star Ball), and three of their friends are currently in France. The five ballroom judges were planning on visiting Paris on Thursday. However, I was horribly disappointed because I had classes from 12.30-21.00 (long day!). I was only going to be able to meet them at the train station for a quick coffee, as opposed to spending the day as their “tour guide.” However, I woke up on Thursday morning and read an email from Bill explaining that no trains were scheduled to arrive in Paris on Thursday due to Holiday. Thus, they rescheduled their plans and were able to come on Saturday instead! I was absolutely thrilled because I did not have classes on Saturday and I was blessed in spending the entire day with my favorite ballroom clan!

My roommates - Alex and Bryan (from Baylor University) left early on Saturday morning. Mme Linyer and I woke and wished them off! Bill and the other ballroom judges were arriving at 10.00 and I desperately wanted Mme Linyer to meet them, so she agreed to accompany me to the train station in the morning (Gare de Lyon). We arrived at 9.30 and realized that Alex and Bryan were leaving from the same station. Thus, we quickly decided to be tricksie little hobbits and surprise the boys with a one-last goodbye! We swiftly dodged through the “entire world” of tourists/family/friends at the station and found the group from Baylor University. Needless to say, the boys were absolutely thrilled so see us as a final goodbye! They introduced us to the entire group of students studying abroad from Baylor University, and we had our last Parisian farewell (kiss on both cheeks). I will miss them… they were very entertaining around the house! We had some great conversations while on the small balconies overlooking the beautiful Boulevard Murat.

After the boys departed, Mme Linyer and I found the platform where Bill was scheduled to arrive. I was impatiently fidgeting with excitement while the train slowly arrived and the passengers stepped off, rubbing the sleep away from their eyes. (common seriously… it’s Paris… wake up!!) Honestly though, I would be lethargic as well if I was forced to wake up at 5.00 in order to catch a train! But I finally spotted Bill in the crowd and I was off! I darted through the crowd, waving and thrilled to finally see them! After introductions and hugs galore, we talked at the station for about ten minutes. Mme Linyer left for the weekend, so she departed from the station, and the six of us began our day! Although the clouds covered the sky, the overcast weather did not damper our spirits! We first walked around Concord, then caught the Metro to Trocadero, where we were able to take a wonderful red-bus sightseeing tour of Paris! It really is a wonderful tour if one only has a day to visit the enormous city. We were able to see the Tour Eiffel, Champ de Mars, Musee du Louvre, Notre Dame Cathedral, Musee d’Orsay, Opera-Galeries Lafayette, Champs-Elysees and the Grand Palais. Pretty sufficient, eh? Actually, I was VERY blessed during the tour because Bill and I were able to have some wonderful and insightful conversations which I will always treasure! (sounds lame, but Bill, thank you for everything - all of your advice, your insights… greatest gift that I could receive!) We had a typical Parisian-style lunch at a café on the Champs-Elysees, as well as some shopping (seriously, fashion capital of the world, how could you not?) We then experience what I considered the BEST part of the visit (well, apart from the conversations!)… a boat ride on the Seine!!! I absolutely ADORED the ride! By this time, the sun was shining and the breeze was gently blowing through our hair. Something about the Seine… I cannot even describe… very relaxing and absolutely gorgeous (ok, the water is a slight nauseous green-color, but viewing the city from the water… pretty spectacular!) We learned valuable history about the different Parisian sites, as well as waved to a plethora of people as we crossed beneath each ornate and unique bridge. There were four or five different wedding receptions on boats on the Seine as well. Being that it is also referred to as the City of Love, I suppose that is acceptable! Hmm, not too shabby of an idea… just kidding mom and dad! But I really did enjoy learning the history behind many of the different bridges on the Seine!

After the bus tour, time forced us to end our day in Paris. We navigated our way back to Gare de Lyon and I reluctantly bid my glorious visitors goodbye. I was so thankful that they allowed me the opportunity to join them for the day… it really was a wonderful gift that I will always remember! Bill, thank you for the wonderful smiles, laughs, memories, insights and conversations!

Another week of learning ahead! I was able to purchase two (enormous) Cordon Bleu textbooks (cuisine and pastry). I will take those, as well as my glossary terms, to different places to study during the week when I do not have class (along the Seine, park near the Eiffel Tour, cafes). Thank you again for the encouraging notes! I will continue to update you upon my adventures!

All my love to each of you from Paris!
SB =)

ps- I have heard through the grapevine (aka mom and dad) that Ratatouille is a glorious movie! Perhaps I can find a little animal to help me cook also. We will just keep the entire sanitation issue under wraps hehe :)

Aucun commentaire: