dimanche 22 juin 2008

"Every Flower Must Grow Through Dirt"

Hello family and friends!


I woke up on this absolutely stunning morning to greet an ocean-blue sky spattered with puffy, cotton-ball clouds (aka cumulous fart-sack, thanks to Grandpa Dick, a WWII B-24 Pilot!). As the breeze flirted with my curtains, I decided to peruse the Convention street market in search of fresh vegetables, fruits and eggs. A plated lunch consisted of smoked trout sushi rolls with shrimp, lemon zest, carrots, beets and mache leaves in the middle. To accompany the colorful rolls, I made a carrot melon soup, as well as cooked beets, peas (yes, I actually stood in my apartment and "deshelled" the peas as we did at LCB and do at Le Meurice… it was amusing needless to say), and carrots. Since I have always been inspired by modern designs, I enjoy plating with a modern approach. Yesterday I made a crab salad… Crab salad with mango, kiwi, carrots and beets… dressed with a vinaigrette (to bind) and salt (a little to bring out flavors) - on the side was a brunoise (small squares) of mango and beets - and a warm reduced balsamic vinaigrette - the warmth of the balsamic vinaigrette complimented the cold crab, fruits and vegetables. Resting confident on the top was mache salad – a very mild salad, high in B-9 vitamins, always a good time.

Since the fruits and vegetables are so incredibly fresh and ripe, they burst with flavors and juices upon hitting the taste buds. The colors are lively and effervescent, allowing me to produce bright and fresh creations! Ok, enough with the food talk!





As I ventured out into the world today, I walked through the streets (while avoiding mopeds, mind you!) and into the Parc Georges Brassens. The park breathed life as families picnicked on the grassy hills, children blew bubbles and rollerbladed on the twisting paths, couples strolled hand-in-hand through the rose gardens and a myriad of individuals performed yoga (Downward facing dog! Proud warrior! Seriously, I wanted to join the eclectic group, but I figured that would be a little uncalled for…) Other Parisians ran, hiked, read, wrote, played on the jungle-jims and basked in the sunshine, soaking up the warm rays. The breeze was heavenly as it lightly sprayed water from the fountain and pool through the air. As I was walking through the shaded stone paths, I noticed one flower which was dazzling in a single ray of sunlight. Intrigued, I walked closer to the blossom (yes, I am one of those people who tries to drive closer and find the source of smoke in the distance… curious like a cat). After snapping a photo, immediately through of the quote, "every flower must grow through dirt," and how it applies to each of us in our daily lives.

Everyone faces challenges and trials in his or her life. However, it is how each of us chooses to deal with the difficulties that mold us and allow us to grow thick skin. Every single day is a new day – a new beginning – full of choices! I am so thankful to have an incredibly loving and supportive family – my parents constantly encourage me to work with my entire heart, to encourage others and to shine while in Paris! Do I succeed every day? Umm, I hate to break it to you, but that would be a "no." I admit, there are days when everything seems so overwhelming… whenever I cannot understand all of the conversations in French at work, (the "slang" is the hardest for me to understand) it almost seems like I am working in silence. However, then I make up my mind to stop feeling sorry for myself and focus on others… ask my fellow chefs how they spent their weekends, their favorite music genres and songs, or even a simple smile to brighten their days. I know that whenever I focus on others, as opposed to myself, life is so much more satisfying! I absolutely adore when my serious sous chef's smile and laugh… it truly brings joy to my heart!



I am thankful for trials and tribulations. Although life can seem almost unbearable while caught in a difficult situation, I am confident that I grow and mature the most during unfavorable circumstances. As I gazed at the single illuminated flower today, I questioned why it was special, why it was different… why in the shaded forest, did this single flower shine in the solitary ray of light? Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe it had a harsh day yesterday and just needed a reassuring beam from above. Maybe it was ready to face the world. I know that in life, situations occur which I will never understand. However, I truly believe that everything in life has a reason. Just continue to never, never, never give up and be thankful for each and every single day.

And all those thoughts from a single, shining flower in a shaded forest…




and then I picked it!!!!!!! (just kidding!) :)

All my love to each and every single of you from Paris!!!
SB =)

Aucun commentaire: