dimanche 15 juin 2008

"For All of Paris is a Moveable Feast…"

Hello family and friends!

First of all, let’s begin on a jovial note, shall we? Last week, a great friend from high school, Tyler Earl ( http://finchesandsparrows.blogspot.com/ ), stopped by Paris to begin his European tour. Tyler had just completed his first year med school exams the day that he departed, and was understandably exhausted with jet leg, but he still rose to the challenge. Ty and I were able to enjoy a plethora of Parisian sites, as well as many lunches and dinners in authentic French cafes. As we roamed the rustic streets of this fashionable city, I could not help but ponder the words of Ernest Hemingway, “If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for all of Paris is a moveable feast.” Any arrondissement or famous location within this majestic city fulfills this accurate description e.g., Place Vendôme. Known as one of the most beautiful architectural sites in Paris, it was constructed under Louis XIV. The stone laden walkways of the octagonal-shaped square lead to the towering bronze statue dedicated to Napoléon. Upon entering this jewel of Paris, I was forced to simply stop and gaze at the gorgeous architecture. Situated in one of Paris’ most brilliant neighborhoods, it shines among the haute couture, art galleries, luxury hotels, perfectly-manicured gardens, museums and theatres. The current ‘band of brothers’ which are housed within the square include: Hôtel Ritz Paris (yes, as in The Ritz), French Ministry of Justice, Rolex, Chanel, Dubail, Cartier, Boucheron, Bvlgari, Patek Philippe, Mikimoto, Dior, Repossi, and a plethora of other stores. The store fronts are dazzling and leave one satisfied by simply window shopping. A true feast for the eyes.

Located across from Place Vendôme is the Jardin Tuileries. Flowers burst with radiance from all corners of this pristine garden. Robust white marble statues line the pathways, in addition to surrounding the reflecting pools in the center of the peaceful spectacle. Large fountains cascade water into the air and rays of sun beams reflect on the glittering waves. Young children enter into adventurous kingdoms as they become captains and navigate their electronic sailboats on the glistening pools. Despite the obvious need for paint restoration, an antique carousel is brought forth to life as the shouts of joyous children permeate the air. One area is devoted to small trampolines located on the grounds. I could not help but laugh as small children hurled their bodies onto the trampolines as they were catapulted into the air. Dark green ivy covers a small café within the garden, as well as a sea of multicolored flowers. Men and women of all ages and nationalities populate the garden benches and breathe in the fresh, untainted air. Breathe… just peacefully breathe. Another true feast for the nose and ears.

I love the small cafés and boulangeries that adorn the streets of Paris. The store fronts display the gorgeous and intricately decorated petit fours, freshly baked baguettes and breads, and cheese and wine displays. One event which all Parisians partake in is the art of people watching (no, fret not… not in a creepy way!) Rather, simply watching how others enjoy the day! Yesterday I enjoyed a perfectly sautéed fillet of salmon; after drizzling a slice of lemon across the pink skin, the flavors burst forth upon hitting my tastebuds. Accompanying the fish was a bed of romaine lettuce hearts seasoned with a balsamic vinaigrette, freshly baked roll and green tea. Although the portions are ummm... 'tiny' compared to those of American standards, they are incredibly rich and perfectly satisfying. Since I usually read or write while at the cafes, I enjoy small conversations and interacting as much as possible. Another true feast… this time, for the mouth :)

Ok… time out for another ‘Sarah Story,’ shall we? (Honestly… enough of the serious business!) First off… I am ok (uh oh). Last Thursday I was on my way to work and standing at the very edge of the curb. Due to construction on my street, there are a significant amount of cars which are moving and stopping constantly. Because I did not grow up in the city, I was not acclimated to small motorcycles/mopeds which dodge in-between traffic like there’s no tomorrow. While I was waiting at the curb, a moped passed a car on the right and was incredibly close to the curb (where I was standing and did not notice) – and apparently something was protruding from the moped (or maybe it was the pedal?) I am not quite sure, but whatever the source, something cut my leg and spun me around quickly (although I did not fall… as Mike Donohoe says, “you can’t hurt steel”). I did get a mighty fine bruise and some red cuts to accompany the black and blue palatte. After calling the firefighters (yet again! Seriously, I love all French firefighters, they are my heroes!) I was whisked away to the hospital to verify that nothing was broken or fractured. Thankfully, my bones were intact. After calling Le Meurice, they were incredibly understanding and supportive. I did not want to wake up mom and dad, so I sent an email after I returned Thursday evening. After multiple calls to doctors, as well as researching medical records, it was determined that my last tetanus booster was in 1997. Dad asked me to return to the hospital in order to have a tetanus booster (seriously, nobody wants lockjaw… that would not be a fun experience!) Fortunately, the squad was able to transport me to the ER once again and I was able to complete my second visit within a minimum amount of time, as there was not a line of patients ahead of me. A planned follow-up visit on Saturday confirmed that everything is healing! Although a little shaken and beaten-up, I feel much better and will return to work tomorrow (I was devastated with the timing, as I only have two weeks left at Le Meurice!!!) However, I am thankful that nothing was broken and I will be able to return to work tomorrow (although the doctor told me to rest for a week… shhhh, don’t tell!) And to please Hemingway, another true feast… of pain!

Paris truly is a majestic city of history, architecture, fashion, gastronomy, artwork and life! When exploring the city, it is essential to continually look upwards… intricate details are constantly waiting to be discovered! I always treasure the ‘pleasant surprises’ which I encounter after studying the eccentricities of the rustic buildings and sites. In all honesty, I must thank my dad for this opportunity. During my junior year at Miami University, Eh Steve, my parents and I were dining on Easter brunch when I began to question my future. I was thankful that I decided to study accounting; although I knew that I would be miserable working exclusively at a desk. My dad suggested culinary school and – I admit – at first I dismissed the idea. However, quite honestly, dad is the most brilliant person that I know and I always reflect on his recommendations and suggestions. He knows me perfectly. I absolutely love this incredibly challenging culinary world… it is unlike anything that I have ever experienced. Thank you, Dad for always encouraging me to try new adventures (horse back riding with Arty, my first roller coaster ride with you on Big Thunder Mountain, Accounting). Thank you the most for being such a strong role-model for me to turn to and look up to…one event which I will always remember and cherish occurred when mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. You called me with the news and calmed my heart. The day of her surgery, you were holding onto her hand and reassuring her as she was sitting on the hospital bed. The mental picture of your love for her is something that I will always remember. Dad, if my future husband is even one-tenth as much of a man as you… well, even that is much more than most. Another true feast… a feast of love that reverberates throughout the world! Happy Father’s Day to all!! I love you all so very very much!!! All my love from Paris, SB =)

1 commentaire:

Tyler a dit…

Jeez louise, Sarah!

I am gone for ONE DAY, and you already get into all this trouble!!

Better keep my eye on you....

Although it's nice you won't get lockjaw anytime soon...